As a software engineer, you move where your skills are most needed or where you will make more of your career. One such place is Spain. With its sunny climate and booming tech industry, Spain offers a relaxed and balanced pace of life where you can fulfill your career dreams and life goals.

In this article, we provide some key reasons why you should consider moving to Spain and what you might need if you decide to relocate (and, hopefully, by the end of the article, you will be capable of making an informed solution).


Jobs in Spain


VanHack has many jobs in Spain that sponsor work visa. You can see them here, apply for free and relocate there!


Nothing soothes the fatigue and uncertainty of moving than the sense of familiarity. This might be a painting, a routine, furniture, or anything that makes you feel more at home and familiar with your environment. In this section, we discuss some of the prohibited items in Spain to give you a clear overview of what you consider moving into the country during your relocation. We also outline the shipping documentation that you will need and how you can organize it for transportation.

Prohibited and Restricted Items

Are you considering shipping your items through the post office? If so, three types of prohibitions apply to objects sent to the Spanish coast through the post office.

These include universal prohibitions, bans by different countries derived from the national regulation on imports, and prohibitions by postal services of various countries relative to merchandise allowed by law but prohibited by postal regulations.

There are many prohibitions to take in, and you might end up getting some of them wrong. We advise you to go through these restrictions before shipping your objects.


For those considering shipping their belongings, you have two options: full container load or groupage shipping. The former gives the shipper exclusive right to use a lot of multi-modal ocean cargo containers straight to his or hers address. It is recommended for high value or perishable goods such as fresh fruit.

If not, you will be paying too much, and there will be leftover space within the container that is not fully in use. This is where groupage shipping, which involves grouping your goods with others traveling to the same destination, comes in. The price of this type of shipping will depend on the size and weight measurements of your airfreight.

Additionally, handling of each consignment happens with great care to avoid damage. So, if you are considering a cheaper, safer, and efficient way to transport your belongings, groupage shipping is the way to go. Remember, the type of shipping that best suits your needs depends on the volume of items you are shipping and where they are going.


For those within the European Union block or the United Kingdom, you can transport your items by road. Here, we outline four ways of doing so.

  • Transit

For European moves to Spain, the most common method of goods transportation is by road. You might have to contend with narrow streets, parking regulations, and difficult access, so seek movers who have an excellent knowledge of your preferred area.

  • Direct Loads

In a direct load, the removal vehicle will only contain your belongings. You can also specify the delivery date of the goods. This option is more expensive than the others.

  • Part Loads

A part-load involves your items sharing a vehicle with those of other movers. This option is cost-effective for those with a limited budget or whose goods do not fill the removal vehicle. However, the departure of your consignment from the U.K. will delay until all the consolidated items reach the threshold. So, consider this option if you are willing to wait a few more weeks for your items’ arrival.

  • Furniture

In this case, you will need to find a professional and experienced international mover to ensure the safe transportation of your belongings who can advise you on any restrictions and required documentation.

  • Living Culture

Culture change might be the biggest shock you experience in Spain. The country boasts of diverse cultures that have gone into its making – the Castilians, Catalonians, Lusitanians and many more.

Therefore, expect to encounter varied cuisines, customs, and prolific contributions to the world’s artistic heritage. Our focus, however, is on language. If your Spanish is not good, it would be helpful to enroll in a course before you move to Spain.

You will find it beneficial to learn Spanish before relocating, more so if you intend to find a job in the tech industry. If you cannot create time for evening classes or lessons, try the Duolingo app, which is popular for its daily and brief foreign language lessons. You can also watch the BBC for quick lessons in Spanish.

Cost of Living

The average monthly cost of living in Spain is $1,787.86 for a single person and $3557.84 for families (both inclusive of rent). This is relatively cheaper compared to the U.K. For instance, the cost of living in Madrid is 38% more affordable than living in London.

It’s advisable to live and dine like a local to reduce your expenditure. Specifically, food bought outside of tourist and commercial areas is reasonably priced. Check out details of the living cost in the city you want to move from this site.

Work and Income

There are numerous job opportunities for software engineers in Spain. Only 1% of Spanish university degrees relate to I.T., which has resulted in a shortage of software developers and engineers. As a result, companies are currently looking for solutions beyond the country.

Spain is among the major European I.T. markets and has more than 33,000 IT businesses. Additionally, Spain has the fourth-highest number of jobs in the European Union, with about 31% of new job openings being digital openings. There is also an expected 25.8% growth of employment in the I.T. sector.

The projections for the required number of programmers and developers are 25,000 to 50,000, while the average monthly salary estimations are at $3,113.06. So do not hesitate to apply for that job you have been eyeing or searching for employment in Spain. Just ensure that you qualify for the jobs, have a work permit, and are willing to relocate to the country.

Banking and Taxes

  • Spanish NIE Numbers

An NIE is a tax identification number issued by the National Police of Spain. You will need to obtain an NIE upon your relocation, considering that it is a legal requirement in Spain for anyone working, who wants to open a bank account, or buying/selling a property or car.

To do so, visit  The Policia Nacional website, which is the go-to resource for finding your nearest office. Here, you can click on the province where you live, and the addresses of the Comisaria General de Extranjeria to narrow down your search.

Also, ensure that you have the following documents when applying for an NIE:

  • Your passport and a copy of all pages
  • Passport photos
  • Proof of legal entry into Spain
  • A complete EX-15 form. You can find it online along with English instructions; however, you must complete it in Spanish.
  • A supporting document stating why you need an NIE (plus a photocopy)

You must apply for the NIE in person, but you can apply via your local Spanish consulate before relocating. Some firms offer to act as your representative to organize this before you arrive in Spain.

  • Opening a Bank Account

The option available for those who want to open a bank account before their relocation is a non-resident account. You will need a Certificado No Residente to do so, and the procedure to get one is the same as that of obtaining your NIE certificate: you have to fill in the EX-15, pay the amount due into the bank, and then obtain the form.

Once you have the certificate, you will present the following documents to your bank: the EX-15 Certificate, your Passport, and NIE number, and an address where you can receive mailed paperwork. If you intend to become a Spanish resident, you must first get a Certificate of Residency.

You will then present the certificate’s copy and a utility bill to the bank to change your account details to your current residence.


Like most countries, Spain has a national health service, Instituto Nacional de la Salud, which provides free or low-cost healthcare to registered Spanish residents. Still, you will need to pay for some things, such as prescriptions.

To become part of the healthcare system in Spain, you must meet one or more requirements. You must have been living in Spain for more than five years, employed in Spain, or pay directly into the public health insurance scheme. Before your move, find out what healthcare options are available in the Spanish region you’re moving to.

You may have to buy private health insurance. You can find lots of in-depth information on healthcare by visiting Health Plan Spain.

Buying Property

We advise you to get a conveyancing solicitor specializing in Spanish land law before buying property in the country. This will help you avoid any misunderstanding about the property.

You don’t need to be a citizen of Spain to buy property there, and the government is very welcoming to foreign investment. In addition, you can apply for a Golden Visa if you buy a house worth more than $596,372.50. Below is more information on how you can acquire a Spanish residency.

School and Education

Schooling in Spain is state-funded and compulsory between the ages of three and sixteen. There are three categories of schools in the Spanish education system: public schools, which are primarily state-funded, privately funded private schools, and partially financed semi-private schools by private sources.

If you have a school-going child, ensure that you research the type of school you want them to attend upon your relocation. This will give you more insight into which school is best for your child.


  • Spanish Golden Visa

The Golden Visa Residency Program allows investors or those of substantial means to acquire residence in Spain. These include:

  • Buying property in Spain worth a minimum of €500,000. You can spread this over more than one property.
  • Investing at least €1 million in shares in a Spanish business.
  • Invest(ing) at least €2 million in Spanish treasury bonds.
  • Depositing €1 million in a Spanish bank account, which must stay there for a minimum of five years.
  • Investing at least €1 million in investment funds.
  • Investing in a new business that will offer employment opportunities, contribute to scientific and or technological innovation, or have a relevant socio-economic impact in the business area.

The visa’s applicants must be at least 18-years-old, have no criminal record, have Spanish health insurance, and should have never been denied a Schengen-area visa in the past. This is the visa for you if you want to set up a tech company/startup or invest in Spanish businesses. You should also consider the golden visa if your goal is to gain permanent residency upon relocation.

General Spanish Visa Application

Most non-European citizens need a Schengen Visa to apply for a long-stay visa in the EU. You will need to apply for this special kind of visa if you are planning to go on a temporary visit, study, or work and reside in Spain permanently.

If employed, you will need an employment contract, current bank statement of the latest 6 months, no-objection certificate from employer, and the income tax return form or certificate of income tax deducted at the source of salary.

Visit the Schengen visa information website to obtain a comprehensive list of all the documents you require for a Spain visa application.


The choice to relocate to a new country is solely yours to make. Career goals or dreams might drive it, but the one assured fact is that your decision will impact your life. So, whether you consider the diverse culture, the booming tech industry, the lucrative salary, or the visa application process, we hope that the guide is sufficient enough to help you make the best choice.